Recently cooked for a student ministries fundraiser dinner, which by the way was a success! One of the side dishes was a favorite. So I thought I would share it with you to enjoy!
Savory Baked Apples
- 1 cup cauliflower crumbles
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 4 large Rome apples, cored
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 link mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss & Gruyere cheese mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop walnuts if needed. Toast walnuts on sheet pan in a single layer for 8-10 minutes checking frequently.
- Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out centers of apples, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell, and chop apple flesh. Brush the inside of apples with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Place apples on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until just tender.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain.
- Wipe skillet, and melt remaining butter in pan. Add cauliflower crumbles, chopped apple, yellow onion, carrot, cinnamon, and cayenne; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sausage, cauliflower mixture, walnuts, green onions and sage; together toss.
- Divide filling mixture evenly among apples; top with cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melted and almost golden.